What We See:
Based on our years of experience, there are five primary reasons why many organizations struggle to identify, train, and place the best leaders into positions of leadership:
A Failure to Think Systemically and Strategically about Leadership:
- When ineffective leaders are placed in positions of influence, it is often the organizational system that is at fault and not necessarily the failings of the individual leader. Organization’s define the criteria and establish the processes used to identify, train, and place leaders. These systems place people in leadership who can then support the status-quo of the larger system and culture. To get the right people in positions of leadership, do not begin with selection processes, rather, begin with the vision, mission, and core values that define the culture and then choose leaders who can support and advance that culture.
A Flawed Selection Criteria to Identify and Develop Leaders (or no criteria at all):
- Men and women are often asked to lead based only on their tenure (it’s their turn) or their competence (it’s their knowledge). Unfortunately using these two criteria to select and position leaders is often disastrous and can have a lasting negative impact on people and performance. The reality is that many businesses simply don’t invest the time, expertise, or the funding required to ensure that their talent management processes produce the best people for positions of leadership.
Confusion regarding the Functions of Leadership and Management:
- Leadership is a process where an individual influences a group of individuals to achieve a common goal (Northouse, 2014, p. 5). Leadership is an interactive process that takes place between the leader and the follower. Leadership also involves impacting followers in a way that motivates and generates commitment toward specified goals. The audience of the leader is the individual follower and groups of followers. Leadership is not a position or a title but rather a vital and critical function that is deeply connected to most aspects of organizational performance. Management involves planning, organizing, and controlling. Leadership is a critical function within all executive and management positions.
A Lack of Knowledge about Effective Leadership Practices:
- When men and women are asked to lead without sufficient knowledge of what leadership is or how effective leadership is informed by a continual scanning of environmental variables, then the result can be damaging to moral and performance. Though important, effective leadership is not based on power, position, or title. The best leaders are those who have learned to connect leadership theory to leadership practice, they care for their followers and attach value and meaning to the work they produce, they understand the right way to motivate and support, and they work to be authentic and approachable.
Using Leadership Development Content Disconnected from Twenty First Century Best Practices and Global Perspectives:
- Leaders today are required to lead in a rapidly evolving organizational and global environment. They must be nimble, responsive, strategic, and informed in their exercise of leadership. When leaderhsip development content is grounded in past best practices, leaders are unable to address the complexity of change and leave their followers unprepared and ineffective. Integer ensures that our leadership training and development is deeply connected to current and future trends and issues. Moreover, we integrate a global perspective that is diverse and multifaceted.
What We Offer Individuals and Organizations:
1. Leadership Development Systems Analysis:
- We analyze existing leadership development systems and define new organizational leadership development strategies that support culture change.
- We work with C-Suite executives and other key stakeholders to analyze leadership trends, issues, and challenges within the existing culture.
- We facilitate conversations around the design of new leadership strategies that support culture-wide change initiatives.
2. Talent Management Processes for Identifying and Developing Leaders:
- Establishing Talent Management Processes for Leadership Selection and Development.
- We help to define Talent Management Processes that are aligned with and advance the organization’s vision, mission, and core values.
- We work with HR Departments and key organizational leaders to establish criteria that help to accurately identify high potential candidates.
- We collaborate with key stakeholders to define key and critical competencies needed within leaders and then build the courses and curriculum to support the emergence of identified competencies.
3. Instructional Design for Courses and Curriculum Addressing all Aspects of Leader and Leadership Development:
- Complete Range of Courses and Workshops Designed Around Leader Formation and Leadership Practice.
- We design a wide range of courses and curriculum that address such areas as Leader Formation, Leadership Theory, Leadership Practice, Leadership and Culture, and Leadership Impact.
- We specialize in designing special topic workshops and professional development seminars that address unique issues, challenges, and opportunities faced by organizational leaders.
4. Facilitation and Instructional Support for the Delivery of Course Material:
- We have deep and broad experience providing instructional support using E-learning, webinar, fact-to-face, seminar, and workshop platforms.
- We provide all materials and work closely with internal experts and partners to ensure that the learning process is quickly operationalized and value-added.
5. Assessing Performance and Leadership Styles:
- A complete Assessment Process that proivdes 360° Performance Evaluations and Leadership Assessments that address Leadership Styles and Impact.
- We offer the Everything DiSC 363 Performance Evaluation for Individual Leaders.
- We offer the Everything DiSC Work of Leaders Assessment for Teams of Leaders.
6. Executive Coaching that Builds Leadership Understanding, Expertise, and Increases Impact:
- Our extensive experience in counseling, guiding, supporting, and shadowing professionals gives us keen insight into the psychology of human behavior and a strong track record of success in working with individual leaders up, down, and across the organization.
- We work with leaders as part of an organization’s professional improvement plan.
- We work with leaders, independently of their organizations, when they seek to develop a well-rounded and professional portfolio that strengthens their self-awareness, other awareness, leadership style, presence, and impact.
7. Workshops and Retreats:
- Workshops and Retreats for Intact Executive Leadership Teams as well as Senior Management Teams.
- Integer brings a variety of topics and perspectives, ideal for offsite retreats and workshops, that connect to the personal and professional lives of executives and senior managers.
For More Information:
To discuss how Integer’s Leader and Leadership Development Training could benefit your organization, please contact Integer Leadership Consulting at: email@example.com or call: 253-230-1024.